home             about             house tour             studio             contact             advertise

Monday, January 27, 2014

DIY PLAYDOUGH for the kiddos in your life


Being a mom is awesome. 

I get to relive my favorite childhood memories.
I get a do over at many amazing things that are for KIDS.
I get to make and create with my little ladies.

This past weekend, we took advantage of the snowy day and made Playdough! It was super fun and messy! I tried two recipes and from here and here. One thing I loved was using JELL-O for the scent/coloring!


The recipe we tweaked:

1 cup of flour
1 cup of water (reviews say to use warm water)
1/8 cup of salt
2 T. of Cream of Tartar
1 T. of cooking oil (I used canola oil)
1 box of JELL-O
food coloring for a extra punch of color
Glitter (my daughter is obsessed with all things sparkly)

and that is it……. we are totally going to be making a rainbow of colors this week! I am going to buy the neon food coloring! 


Mix all of the ingredients in the pot! I let my daughter do all the dumping and stirring! She was soooo PROUD! It is amazing how excited kids get when we involve them on these projects! 



For the glitter- you can use a lot! I let my daughter sprinkle as much as she wanted! 


Once everything is mixed, you will stir the ingredients over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Make sure that you keep stirring the whole time. It is ready for the next step when it turns into a big clump. You will know when this is happening! Mama needed to help the 3 year old-, it was too heavy to stir! :) 


Here is the first batch after it turned into a ball. Transfer the play dough to a floured surface and allow to cool for a bit. We let it cool for 20 minutes! 


While it was cooling, we started another batch! 




Once the playdough is at a good temputure, you can start kneading the dough to your desired consistency. We added 1/8-1/4 c. of flour to the dough at this point. Use your judgement on what it needs! 


The little lady was not a fan of this part! I took over for her, which I didn't mind at all! 


We are storing our playdough in some rubbermaid plastic containers. I am super happy about how it turned out! 


I will keep you posted on our next batch! 

Happy Monday! Have you been up to any fun DIY activities lately? January in Minnesota is such a great time for craft projects! 


No comments:

Post a Comment